Thursday, October 27, 2011

Dessert review: Meso Maya in Dallas

I’ve been getting more e-mails from people telling me that I need to sample the Pastel de Moras from Meso Maya than I get about my Nigerian Lottery winnings or about how I really need to do something about the size of my penis.
I could wait no longer! This place hasn’t been open for that long and the word is out. They don’t take reservations, so prepare for a wait on a Friday or Saturday night. The strip mall location at Preston and Forest was packed on a Friday night and I settled in for my hour wait for a table with good friends at 7 p.m. The weather was beautiful and I managed to steal a seat on the comfortable patio furniture from the Bettie White look-alike.
Once we finally got seated, I prepared the table for the masterpiece I had heard so much about. We were also drooling at the description of the other desserts. We formed a pact right then and there, that no matter how full we were, we needed three of the desserts on the menu. See, this, folks, is why I love my friends. Never one to back out on a pact or a pinky swear; they understand the importance of dessert.
An hour, several cocktails, and many delicious dishes later, dessert was served. Now, since I consider us to all be good friends by now, I will gift you this one piece of advice. If you do nothing today, do this: Go to Meso Maya and order the Pastel de Moras. The Pastel de Moras is a skillet blueberry cake paired with vanilla bean ice cream. This is a blueberry muffin on crack. It is the Johnny Depp of blueberry muffins. The blueberry “cake” is baked in a cast iron skillet, which is the best part. It gives the edges a crispy texture and the warm blueberries practically melt in your mouth. Pair that with a bite of the vanilla ice cream, and well, I may need some alone time, and extra napkins.
                           
Next up is the Crepas Con Cajeta, which is a buttermilk crepe, caramelized plantains, goat milk caramel, pecans, and vanilla bean ice cream. Think Mexican bananas foster. Not everyone at the table loved it, but I did love the taste of the rich, ripe, cooked plantains with the tart goat milk caramel. It is definitely a taste you have to get used to because when you take a bite, it tastes completely different than you would expect, but that is exactly what I loved about it.
Lastly, we ordered the Pastel de Chocolate, which is a double layer Mexican chocolate cake with strawberry sauce and Rompope. I am a huge fan of the slightly spiced Mexican chocolate cake, and the dollop of muddled strawberries on top was fantastic. However, I fully believe that the Rompope made this dish complete. Rompope is a type of Mexican egg nog, and I am no stranger to the sauce. However, I would have liked to seen more of it on the plate or perhaps infusing the frosting with Rompope? Hell, just bring me the bottle.
                          
Between all the actual sugar and the sugar from the alcohol metabolizing, I was soon about to crash. Once I did, it was not sugarplums I was dreaming about, but the delicious Pastel de Moras whom I plan to meet again very soon.

1 comment: