Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pineapple Buns The Bun Is Named Pineapple For Its Appearance Rather Than Taste

Pineapple Buns
Every time I visit and browse Ann’s blog, Pigpig’s Corner, I’m attracted and amazed by her gorgeous, mouth-watering pictures. Not only does Ann have intriguing recipes, but also publish heaps of high quality of restaurant reviews written by the Wild Boar, her partner. When Ann asked me to guest post on her lovely blog, I was wondering what I could contribute more than she’s already had. Then came a suggestion from Ann, a challenge to me, to make a very popular snack in Hong Kong, Pineapple Buns (aka BoLuo Bao in Cantonese).

Thank you, Ann, for giving me this opportunity, but sorry for taking quite a long time to send my post in. The recipe I developed here, was adapted from the owner of a Hong Kong bakery shop, specialized in making and selling pineapple buns (refer to this video for original recipe in Chinese and the whole process). There are two important ingredients in the original recipe, lard for making the topping crispy, and ammonia powder for making crackling patterns on the crispy topping. As I don’t use lard in my home-cooking at all, I tweaked it and used butter only. Besides, how would I make Asian breads without tangzhong? Absolutely not. Many of my readers have already known that I’m addicted totangzhong breads because they are soft and fluffy, and can be kept for days. Since I tweaked the original recipe with butter and tangzhong, I have had three trials until I got it right and feel satisfied. In the end, the original recipe was totally unidentified with mine. Or to say, doing the same thing by taking different routes. If any of you would like the original recipe translated in English, feel free to email me.

Pineapple Buns with a stick slab of butter within (Bor Lor Yao) are also commonly consumed prior to attending weddings back in the day in Hong Kong if the guests know that there will be heavy alcohol consumption. The reason is that the butter will coat the stomach and delay the absorption of alcohol, and thus, delay the onset of alcohols effects. you have been to Chinatown and have tried authentic Cantonese dim sum, you will probably know pineapple buns (boroh bun). Regardless of its name, there is no pineapple in the bun—it’s a soft bun with a sweet and crusty topping, which is extremely tasty when it’s freshly baked. I love pineapple buns and that’s why I asked my contributor Siew Loon to share her pineapple buns recipe. If you love Asian-style pastry, buns, and bread, I am sure you will love this. Enjoy!

Over the last few months, the craze about Asian breads and pastry has prompted me to try baking these delicacies such as pineapple buns, Hokkaido milk loaf, Castella, and the list goes on. One of my favorites is pineapple buns (or called buo luo bao/ in Cantonese) which is a popular bun in Hong Kong. This is a MUST EAT on my list whenever I visit Hong Kong.

To make the "water roux starter", mix the water and the flour until well blended and lump free in a bowl. Place it on the gas stove and warm it up over the medium heat to reach 65C/150F for 2-3 minutes. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Let it stand at room temperature before using it.

To make the dough, add dough ingredients a mixing bowl. Mix with dough hook at slow speed for 1 minute. Change to the medium speed, and continue to mix on slow speed for 3 minutes on medium speed until a dough forms.

Add butter gradually and mix for approx. 5 minutes on medium speed until gluten is fully developed, i. e. elastic, smooth, non-sticky and leave from sides of mixing bowl.

Ferment the dough in a lightly greased plastic bag for 1 hour, Leave in a warm place until dough is double in volume.

Punch the dough down to release gases produced in the fermenting process. Divide dough into 5 portions and round up. Let them rest for 15 minutes at the room temperature.

To make the topping, whip the butter until soft and sift in the icing sugar and mix well. Add in the egg in 3 portions and stir until combined after each addition. Fold in the dried milk and half of bread flour. Mix with a plastic spatula. Gradually add in the rest of bread flour until the topping mixture has reach the softness like an eardrop. Divide the mixture into 5 portions.

Place the divided topping on the lightly floured working surface. Flatten the dough and put it on top of the topping, seal tightly.

Score topping lightly in a checked pattern with a knife and let rest for 35-40 minutes. Brush on egg yolk and bake in a preheated 180C/350F oven for about 15 minutes.

As for using ammonia powder, it’s quite tricky. If used not enough, you’d be disappointed for no crackling patterns appear on the topping. If more than enough, your buns would smell weird (yes, like wee). Hope that I didn’t scare you off. If you don’t want to risk, or can’t find any ammonia powder, you can skip the ingredient, and use a knife to score the top pastry before transferring your buns in oven for baking. You’d get regular patterns, instead of getting irregular crackling that classic Hong Kong pineapple buns would have. Taste remains the same anyway. Hope you all like my sharing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment