Sunday, September 25, 2011

Passover Dinner-Chocolate Fondant


The unfortunate fire that I told you about in my last post happened 3 hours after Daniel, Avi’s brother’s girlfriend and me finished preparing 3 kinds of desserts for the Passover evening dinner. We made macaroons (the American coconut cookies), macarons – it was my first time and they came out really good and with a great chewy center, as they should.
It’s a real shame I can’t share it with you guys… But it’s a great reason for making my second batch sooner than I planned! We also made a no-sugar cheesecake for one of our dinner guests. So all in all, after the fire, I remained with no dessert for the Passover dinner.
That was definitely a situation that had to be fixed, and so I made this great chocolate fondant. I followed the recipe of a dear Israeli blogger friend of mine – Maya from Bazek Alim, adapting the recipe to fit the flourless Passover restriction. It’s a great recipe and it turned out great even in the Passover version!
Thanks Maya for a yummy recipe, and also many thanks for oferring me to come and cook with you at your home! This is a really generous offer, and I think it also could be lots of fun.
I’ll be in touch with you about that. Since I baked it at my mother’s house, in an oven I didn’t bake in before, I baked one test fondant, it took 12 mins in her oven and the result was perfect!
A liquid chocolate center wrapped up in a cloudy-like chocolate soft crust… So much YUM!
Unfortunately, thinking I’ve mastered the fondant art in just one try, when I baked the ones for the guests, I left them 2 mins more in the oven (each one of them was bigger than the test one), which resulted in a very small liquid center. It was still very tasty, no doubt about that, but it left me with a bit of a sad feeling for succeding on the test round and failing (or succeeding less) on the important round.
Baking time is crucial in this recipe.
You should bake your fondant just until its margins have stabilized, but the center is still soft and hasn’t firmed up yet. It’s best to spend the last 3-4 mins near the oven, keeping a close eye on these little pieces of yummyness. Baking one of them in advance in order to test the time it takes in your oven is highly recommended.
Ingredients:
150 gr bitersweet chocolate
150 gr butter
2 eggs
a pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
4 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp flour (Passover version: substitue with 3/4 Tbsp Matzos flour and the rest potatoes flour or corn flour)
Directions:
1. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a Bain-Marie or in the microwave. Stir well until a uniform mixture is formed.
2. Add in the 2 eggs and the pinch of salt and whisk well until incorporated.
3. Add in the egg yolks and whisk well until inpcorporated.
4. Add in the sugar and stir well, so that in the next step, when adding the flour in, only a minimal stir will be needed.
5. Add the flour and stir only until incorporated.
6. Pour into greased ramekins or muffins pan, and bake in an oven preheated to 356F (180 C). As mentioned in the final paragraph of the post, keep a close eye on your fondants and take them out when their margins have firmed but the center hasn’t yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment